7/23/2003

Date: July 23, 2003
Subject: Be careful what you wish for

I was one of the 85 citizens selected to serve on the new Academic Standards Committee for social studies and science. I asked for and received an appointment to the grade 9-12 social studies subcommittee. I have posted lists of the committee members on my web site. The committees are directed by law to compose statewide academic standards for these two subject areas, for presentation to the legislature in February 2004.

I applied to be on the committee because I believe that the primary purpose of a social studies curriculum should be to preserve liberty, consistent with the Declaration of Independence, U.S. Constitution, and founding documents. I hope to bring a parent's perspective to the committee, and to advocate for academic excellence on behalf of public school students and parents.

Today I received a large packet of information from the Minnesota Department of Education. It includes state standards in social studies that have been highly rated by the Fordham Foundation, American Federation of Teachers, and Education Week, which all publish highly-regarded reviews of state academic standards.

Over the next seven months or more, I hope to provide you with an insider's perspective on the standards development process in Minnesota.